Friday, March 6, 2009

I can't help myself...



This next week during my spring break, my family and I are traveling to a place I've longed to go for some time now. We will be visiting Washington DC. I am extremely excited because we will get to see all the sights, monuments, museums, etc. Walking in places where excellent men and women trying their best to establish and serve a country meant for freedom and awesome things. N0 matter my thoughts or rants about current political practices, next week I will almost certainly be in a never ending state of euphoria, punctuated by the fact that I get to share it with my family. No doubt, my little daughter will know that we are in an important place.
There is one thing that sets this trip above almost anything else that we could be otherwise doing...the National Archives. We will be able to see the original Constitution of the United States of America. As I sit here writing this I find myself fighting back tears as I find myself every time I hear the document well referenced in the past year or so. Trying to prepare myself for that moment is proving difficult as I am not sure how I will react. I'm not sure that sobbing quietly in the National Archives is allowed. I guess we will find out.
The more that I have been thinking about the Constitution and what it means to me and my life I've been pondering what it means to live as one devoted to the Constitution. I know that most members of the government take oaths to defend the Constitution but I feel that most don't have any clue what that means. I recently came across an article by Chuck Baldwin, the 2008 Constitutionalist party candidate for President. He, in Jeff Foxworthy-like style, shares his thoughts on the matter as You Might Be a Constitutionalist If...
Here is some of what he says.

1. You might be a Constitutionalist if you believe that elected leaders should really obey the U.S. Constitution.

2. You might be a Constitutionalist if you believe that before the United States invades and occupies another country, Congress must first declare war.

3. You might be a Constitutionalist if you believe the federal government should live within its means, like everyone else is forced to do.

4. You might be a Constitutionalist if you think that taking away people's liberties in the name of security is neither patriotic nor does it make the country more secure.

5. You might be a Constitutionalist if you would like to see politicians be forced to abide by the same laws they make everyone else submit to.

6. You might be a Constitutionalist if you understand that we have three coequal branches of government that are supposed to hold each other in check and balance.

The rest of the article can be found here and I believe he does an excellent job of examining the Constitution and enumerating its precepts. I hope you will all take the time to read the article and the Constitution for that matter, if for no other reason than it is of importance to me.

1 comment:

  1. Please don't forget you are also visiting my birthplace. Any yes it is hallowed ground, but not because of my birth. I'm glad you are taking this opportunity to go to the District of Columbia. Have a great trip.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete