Thursday, July 16, 2009

In the mail it came...

My father-in-law Roland knows my political feelings and is a follower of this blog. For my recent birthday he decided to get me a great present that will give the whole year long: a membership in the NRA. You heard it here, I am now a card carrying member of the NRA. While I am not a huge fan of the entire issue of lobbying in the United States I do believe that this group serves an awesome purpose of defending one of the fundamental and most misunderstood rights given to us by the Constitution. After all, the main reason that we have the second amendment is to protect ourselves from our government. Had the King taken away the rights of colonists to have their arms, they would not have been able to take charge of their freedom. For that reason we are given that right. I always remember the adage that a people should not fear their government but a government should fear its people. The more people that belong to the NRA and support what it does, the more difficult it becomes for the government to take away that right.
A big thanks to my father-in-law for helping me to be a part of that.

2 comments: