Friday, October 17, 2008

My Roots

An e-mail from a friend reminded me of the roots of this blog. One day I came across one of my favorite speeches given by Patrick Henry. The speech talks of Liberty and Freedom, with the familiar phrase of "Give me Liberty, or give me Death." The meaning of this phrase has been mostly forgotten. It is now utilized in rather pathetic attempts to relate to the founding of our country. Our Founding Fathers fought for the Freedom of our country from oppressive and controlling government. They desired that their children and all who would come here would be free to choose how to live. They wanted the federal government to be small and take care only of the things that the States either could not handle or issues that superseded States' rights. They desired a President who would have minimal power and act as head of state, not as a legislator.
Where are we now? Can we even see that kind of Freedom? Can we even dream of it? I hope the answer to the last question is a resounding 'Yes'. I hope that people still desire to have their own choice matter. I hope that every American citizen will take the time to read the Constitution and think about the government that was initially instituted in this nation.
We can solve our problems. It is not through more government intervention. It is through the freedom of choice and the electing of leaders who will work for our benefit. I believe that Patrick Henry, along with George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and every other patriot of this country's founding would be angry with our current leaders for corrupting the system they created.
So, with election day rapidly approaching, and nothing of real value being said or accomplished, I urge everyone to study this out. We've still got the power to change things for the better, but we need to be willing to fight for our rights. And so I say again, reminded of the reason for the founding of this blog, 'Why stand we here idle'? Let's regain our glory.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this. No more can we afford to stand upon the sidelines and watch our freedoms be insidiously stripped away. We must make a stand, talk to our neighbors and share the passion that Patrick Henry so eloquently expressed: "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings" (or Presidential candidates!)

    Like it or not, we are engaged "in a great and arduous struggle for liberty" and must not shut our eyes to the truth of the direness of our current state. As our Captains of Old fought for freedom from tyranny, we too must rise up and shout, WE WILL NOT GO QUIETLY INTO THE NIGHT, we will STAND as ME OF FREEDOM, who love our wives, our children, our God and our COUNTRY. May God be with us and right prevail!

    --Roy.

    ReplyDelete